Sunday, February 17, 2008

it helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky!

I've got a mouse in the house. Probably a whole family, I'm guessing.

One of my cats was fascinated with the garbage can the other night. Just sat there staring at it for hours. I thought maybe it was hoping the left over tuna would miraculously find its way out of the bag and into my cat's mouth, but turns out my cat heard a mouse. And how do I know this, you might wonder?

Well, when I awoke the next morning, I found garbage strewn about the house. My smart kitty must have tipped over the garbage and then proceeded to chase the mouse around the house. I know there was a mouse involved in the equation because as I walked out of my bedroom, I made eye contact with a cute little furry guy with a tail. It looked as surprised to see me as I was to see it. The mouse sprinted off in the direction of the couch. I have yet to see it since. I'm not sure if my cat ate it, or if it is holding fort in my couch until it thinks it's safe to make a run for it.

Either way, I had a little chat with my two cats. How they managed to let one tiny little mouse escape their very sharp claws is beyond me. They were both sleeping soundly on my bed when I had my encounter with the furry little critter. Clearly their "hunt prey" instincts have yet to kick in. So, I've gone and bought those "critter friendly" traps and if I should catch the little guy, I plan to drive it to the woods far from my house. If it finds its way back, I'll make it a pet. After an impressive trek like that, it would earn the right to stay.

And that concludes my boring little tale about Fievel, my furry friend.

**Update** So far I have caught three. Three blind mice. Well, they're probably not blind, but they're not smart, either. But they sure are cute! And tiny! And now they are living in a woods far, far away. And unless they can cross interstates and bodies of water, they are most likely going to find a new home to inhabit. Now, I just need to find the hole the crafty little critters were using to make their way into my house ... because where there are mice, there are more ...

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wheeee, a mouse! Hmm. How did it get inside?!

What an adorable plague! :) Good luck!

 
At 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been feeding the birds and squirrels out in my front yard . . . millet, sunflower seeds, corn, etc. Saturday morning I was watching the squirrels and mourning doves when suddenly I noticed a squirrel without a bush tail . . . then realized it was either a very plump mouse or a small rat. It was running back and forth between the piles of corn and the front stoop (I'm actually assuming it was a mouse as rats tend to be very neophobic and probably wouldn't run into the yard. Anyway, I guess it's time to stop providing a food source before the rodent finds its way indoors.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home